Sunday, February 05, 2006

Not a Material Girl



Isn't that cute? It's a water-powered clock. Water can now power Time. I'm impressed.

Gadgets are cool, I guess, but I think I must've been Amish in another life. Not like I'm a Luddite, but I really would be okay without all of this technology. Let's all break back up into tribes, I say. I've always been this way. When I was a kid, there were only 3 material conveniences that put a twinkle in my eye:

refrigerators with ice and water in the door

rear windsheild wipers on automobiles

electric cars

Done. Done. And done.

Anyone else remember what gadgetry they coveted as a kid? Yes, 007-inspired ones count, too. I mean, that is where I got the idea for that ejection seat in my car.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my lifetime, no gadget cast a bigger spell on than a relatively recent one - the cell phone. When I think of the years of longing, the months of shopping, the excitement of receiving and programming in all my preferences and data...well, I'm ultimately embarrassed.

Just months after getting it, I barely get any calls and the thrill is gone.

Now, when I get mt wireless-ready Apple MacBook Pro, I'll REALLY be happy!

06 February, 2006  
Blogger genetic lorax said...

Hehe. Yeah, I have to admit, I want an Apple,too. BUT, at least we're aware of the impermanence of that bright, shining delight that comes with the whole package. :-)

07 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we're definitely aware. wink. wink. nudge. nudge. say no more.

want

Ok, kidding aside (since some people just aren't getting my kidding these days), I totally share your not-quite-but-almost-luddite perspective. If I could only figure out how to blog without a high-tech gadget.

07 February, 2006  
Blogger genetic lorax said...

Party pooper.

;-)

I know, the irony of the blogging luddite is not lost on me.

This is totally unrelated, and I should probably bring this up on your blog, but did you reccommend the Rupert Sheldrake book that's up on the sidebar at Floss? Been meaning to ask you about that. He's great. Love his perspective.

07 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do all the recommendations in the sidebar. I found out about him via an article in Ode magazine, which I regularly plug.

I'm all over the whole What The Bleep thing and see wonderful connections being made between science and spirituality.

08 February, 2006  
Blogger Chandira said...

I always wanted a utility belt like Batman had, it had shark repellent in it. I thought I might need that one day..
:-)

08 February, 2006  
Blogger Chandira said...

Yes, what the Bleep is wonderful!

Go see 'One', too.

08 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home