Sunday, May 28, 2006

Epic Film School

At the local museum, I've taken several film classes. They usually center around a theme--Films From Spain or Independent Films from the 90's or Middle Eastern Comedies. OK, I'm kidding about that last one.

Well, the head honcho of these series happens to be in my yoga class and I asked him what was next, theme-wise. His response was to ask me if I had any ideas. STOOPID question. I told him my favorite thing to do would be to show an alphabetical survey of some of my all-time favorite movies, with the attempt to include every single film genre. Epic, I know. It's true that I wouldn't get the thrill of seeing films I haven't seen before, but I would be giving others that opportunity. And that's just the kind of selfless person I am.

So, even though I'm not a list person, here's mine, by movie title and genre.

And please, if the muse strikes you--what would be your idea for a film class?

A--A Midnight Clear: war
B--Baraka: spiritual documentary
C--The Cruise: documentary
D--Dirty Filthy Love: british romantic comedy
E--Elizabeth: historical drama
F--Frankie & Johnny: romantic comedy
G--Grave of the Fireflies: anime
H--(I) Heart Huckabees: comedy, independent
I--The Iron Giant: family animation
J--Jesus's Son: drama,independent
K--Koyaanisquatsi: experimental
L--Little Dieter Needs to Fly: Werner Herzog doc
M--Miller's Crossing: gangster drama
N--Nights of Cabiria: classic foreign
O--October Sky: biographical drama
P--The Princess and the Warrior: contemporary foreign
Q--Quiz Show: drama
R--Renegade: western/thriller
S--Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring: foreign, eastern
T--Tully: independent
U--United 93: real life drama
V--V for Vendetta: political thriller
W--Waking Life: independent, animation
X--
Y--Young Mr. Lincoln: classic
Z--

3 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

good list. i've seen dirty filthy love. i liked that. elizabeth was good. i like i heart huckabees. some people don't like that movie, but i like it.

28 May, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That means you heart heart huckabees?

Why not Middle Eastern Comedies? It is amazing how many people don't realize that humor is healing and can be present at the most dramatic of times.

04 June, 2006  
Blogger genetic lorax said...

Thanks Carrie. I like your taste! ;-)

Blue Turtle, YES i double heart huckabees. No comment on the middle eastern comedies...like they say, if you have to explain the joke, it kind of ruins it.

04 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home