Friday, February 23, 2007

A Bitter Richard Linklater Fan

The foreign film Water is the only movie I have seen nominated this year deserving of an Oscar. It's lush, has great depth and carries an important message. The fact that the making of the film was delayed for 5 years because of extremist Hindus in India just gives it that much more of a chance of winning.

That's the only one I'll be looking at Oscar night. Well, that and Scorsese, I guess. OK..and An Inconvenient Truth--which is just such a beautiful thing.

But for the Best Picture category, having just seen Little Miss Sunshine this week, I pretty much think Oscar has lost all its hairline-thin credibility. I can't for the life of me figure out what would make that film get a nod. Was it much better in the theater with an audience?
"Oh, that's so funny everybody isn't it/they are pushing the van again."

I guess it all makes sense in some way--a joke of a movie contest honors a one-joke movie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave J. said...

I agree, the Oscars are a complete joke. I am getting to the point that if a film is awarded an Oscar, that becomes a deal-breaker for me, and I shy away from renting it.

Did you see "The Departed" by chance? Terrible film.

02 March, 2007  
Blogger genetic lorax said...

Dave,

Thanks for visiting. Nope, haven't seen The Departed yet. Heard the same thing about it from a friend who is a Scorcese fan, though.

If you want to see a perfectly excellent award-quality Scorcese film, check out "Kundun".

That's what I did after the Oscars this year :-)

04 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home