Sunday, April 02, 2006

Wild Wild Life

Back from the springs too soon. These last 3 we visited are numbers 5 , 6 and 7 in our series, and three of the best so far. There are over 600 natural springs in Florida--more than anywhere else in the world. Needless to say, this will be a family tradition for quite some time.

The whole aquifer system is very amazing, both from a scientific and natural world perspective. These trips get me into a very Native American state of mind. I find myself looking forward to when this crazy, selfish western civilization collapses on itself. Sleeping under the stars has that effect on me. That, and standing under 160 foot Cypress Trees, going on the best canoe trail that could ever even be possible, walking on an old Timucuan tribe trail that was like walking in a rainforest, and snorkeling over the caverns of a magnitude 1 springhead with the most otherworldly purity in blue.

2 Comments:

Blogger Salt Water said...

Wow! Is this Florida? I have bin to a hotsprings or two, but none have looked anything like this. I have never before seen anything that would make me want to go to Florida until now. Where is this beautiful dream? Thanks. The kids are getting bigger I see. We just became great grandparents(slightly early, but mostly happily).

14 April, 2006  
Blogger genetic lorax said...

Hey Salt!

This is north central Florida in the photo, and these springs are cold. I wish I got a good shot of the canoe trail, it was unbelievable.

GREAT grandparents? I can't believe it, how is that possible? Congrats!

18 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home